Tuesday, November 11, 2008

MY FAVORITE VETERAN


To most, Veteran's Day is simply a day when kids are home from school and we must find some way to entertain... especially on a windy and rainy day like today. It's true...I will doing that exact same thing. However, it holds much more significance for me. I grew up moving from military base to military base and don't remember having lived "off base" until I was a sophomore in high school. To this day, I can't hear the Star Spangled Banner without crying even if it's just a little t-ball game. My father, Lester Sousley, is a retired officer in the Air Force and spent his career in the air flying planes. Lt. Col. Lester Sousley, is my favorite veteran. My dad flew C-130's during the Vietnam war and I am thankful for to him and all other veterans for their service to our country. THank you, Grandpa for serving in World War II, thanks Sidney Smith, for serving in Iraq.....and thanks to all who are currently serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Leslie for the reminder of what this day is really about. I read your post and it made me cry. I too, am a patriot and love my country and am so grateful for all those who put their life on the line to protect our freedoms. Thank you pepa and all the others who serve ith honor!!!

Leslie said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father! I took the kids aside and gave them a little history lesson about Armistice Day and signing the treaty at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month but I am not sure it really stuck with them. Thanks to your father and all other who sacrifice so much for our great country. We are indeed blessed! Leslie

Mike and Julina said...

Sweet post! Thank you.