Friday, May 29, 2009

Feeling Philosophical

I road my bike along the river this morning....nothing special....just another day on my bike. I was alone today so the only person I could talk to was myself....I'm really good at that, by the way. Well, today, I forgot water. I told myself that it wasn't any big deal. I could handle the 15 mile ride without it...I was right...I did handle it....but I wanted water!

The whole ride took place right along the banks of the Columbia River. I was surrounded by water but none that I could partake of. I passed a park with a drinking fountain...it worked but just a small little stream came out and I wasn't willing to risk sucking on the mouth piece after who knows who. At the end of my ride, I stopped at the Hippie convenience store not far from where I parked....closed....couldn't get water. I ended up drinking my old water from yesterday's Taco Time lunch!

Here's where the philosophical part comes in. How many times do we want something so badly, we're surrounded by it, but it's still out of our grasp? Are you a smoker who has quit, a recovering alcoholic, someone with the right credentials for a job and your just waiting for the phone call to tell you YOU'RE HIRED! Whatever the case may be, it's a sucky feeling. The best we can do, is prepare our spirit and our minds and deal with things as they come.....ok, I never said I was a GREAT philosopher.

5 comments:

Theresa Halverson said...

Very profound. It's amazing how something as small as forgetting water can really make you think of deep things! Well said. :-)

Leslie said...

Hey My Sweet Girlfriend. If I were with you I would have shared mine. Love ya.

Mike and Julina said...

You should have pulled a Bear Grills and drank your urine. =)

Anonymous said...

WOW that is so true and very profound. Thanks for that! It is so nice to have quiet moments alone. They seem so few and far between but nice when they happen!

Shelly Yorgesen said...

Nice story, so true, I am struggling with something like that right now, I just can't seem to drink up my goal. It is killing me.