Saturday, May 9, 2009

Name Rankings

I read an article on CNN this morning that prompted me to do something kind of fun! If you go to www.ssa.gov, they have their annual list of the 1000 most popular names for kids for 2008. I plugged in our names to see how popular they were. Here's what I found.

Madison ranked 4th to come out on top in our family.
Christian ranked 23rd.
Caden ranked 95th.
Ken ranked 136. (I can't believe his was more popular than mine!)
Leslie ranked 147th.
Macy ranked 281.

Macy's name surprised me. I really thought hers would have beat mine and Ken's. Try it out. It's really fun!

The most popular name for girls was Emma and for boys Jacob.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ok, well
David is 14th
Katie is 128th
Peter is 183rd

and the least popular of all...

Suzanne has not appeared in the top 1000 in the last 9 years! Yikes!

Theresa Halverson said...

That's really interesting how name popularity has really changed over the years. My name (which I don't like anyway) is #852, but the lowest was Rick which was #930 in 2000 and hasn't appeared since. The most popular was Aaron at #50.

Mike and Julina said...

My name didn't make it into the top 1,000 ever! Surprise, surprise.
Lincoln is ranked 212. Michael has been #1 or #2 for the last 29 years.