Friday, December 4, 2009

UNEXPECTED MISSIONARIES

I had a visit today by two very nice older women from the Jehovah's Witnesses church. They came before a couple of months ago. Then, we chatted outside for a few minutes and they left me a magazine which I proceeded to throw in the garbage after they left.

Being cold outside, I let them in my home. We stood in the entry way and made small chat which I was just waiting for them to lead into their purpose for coming. Sure enough, they began sharing scriptures with me and talking about Jesus' purpose of coming to the earth and the earth's role. I let them know that I am LDS and I told them what we believe.

The main speaker lady then began talking about how most people view Christ as a baby in a manger or a person who is just a man that people consider a prophet. We were standing right in front of my beautiful Greg Olson picture of Christ and I was able to bear witness to them that Christ is the center of our home. He is more than someone we talk about just at Christmas time but a member of our family all the time.

These two missionary women asked if they could leave a book with me. I told them I would rather they keep as I would not read it since I was firm in my faith and there was no chance in wavering. I was afraid that they would find an audience in me if I accepted the book and come back for more discussions. We made small chat a little bit more and they went on their friendly way.

This happened just 10 minutes ago. Now they are gone and there are things I wished I had said and done. I wish I had said I would accept the book if they would accept mine and give them a Book of Mormon. I wish I had said MORE about the gospel. I tend to clam up and not know what to say in these kinds of situations.

I highly respect these women who are going door to door preaching THEIR word even if it isn't MY word. As uncomfortable as it seems when someone is trying to tell you to believe something else, I can't help but admire that they, too, are firm in their convictions and trying to spread words of Christ and love....and they did so with respect and love. I am sure I wouldn't feel the same way if they were pushy and obnoxious.

Do I want them to come back and discuss more with me? NO. But I would be happy to see them in the grocery store and chat about the little things.

4 comments:

Regan said...

Leslie, I have had these visitors on my door step a few times as well. The last time they came, I decided to read the literature they left for me. I was fascinated at how similar some of their beliefs/views are to my own. My next door neighbors at the time were Jehovah's Witness as well, and I must say that although some of their beliefs seem odd to me, I admire their dedication to their faith. They are good people and I was glad to have them as neighbors. In the crazy, upside down world we live in it's comforting to know that there are others out there just trying to share the messages that Jesus taught all those many years ago.

Mike and Julina said...

Be proud that you said what you did say, some people may have not said anything at all about what they believe. Good for you.

Tami said...

You are too sweet. It was nice of you to let them in. I love it that you bore your testimony on your blog for all of us too. Thanks!

Theresa Halverson said...

We had a similar experience about a year or so ago when Aaron was still on his mission. I spoke to the JW missionaries because I wouldn't want people turning away Aaron without listening to him first. The woman I spoke to had studied JW for seven years before joining their church so she was very committed to her religion. I did offer her a Book of Mormon, but she said she had received one before and didn't want another. ha ha I agree, though, that you usually think of more to say after they leave. I think you said all the right things, though, by bearing your testimony and letting them know how you feel about your Savior. You should feel proud about what you said!