Wednesday, October 22, 2008

TALE OF A DETERMINED CYCLIST

I am either really determined or really stupid. You be the judge....this morning I was wanting to ride. I had a kink in my neck yesterday so I couldn't go yesterday. My partner, Leslie H., couldn't go this morning so I went on my own. I put all my cold weather gear on (it was about 33 degrees outside) and started up the dreaded hill. As I'm going up, my kids are coming down. Evidently, they were standing at the bus stop for 20 minutes waiting on their bus that never came! I went back home with them, packed my bike in the car, and loaded the kids up. I drop them off at school and realize I left my gloves and glasses at home. Since I was going into town, I just figured I would go do the cable bridge river loop. I stop at Target and buy gloves and found another pair of glasses in my car. Not even a minute into my ride, my chain comes off. I take my tissues (for that wonderful cold weather runny nose) so I don't get grease all over my fingers and put my change back on. However, I get the tissues stuck between the gears and the chain. SO....I have to get my fingers all greased up anyways just to get the tissue out. So, now my chain is back on, my fingers are black, and I have no tissue for my runny nose. Sorry, you know what that means....snot rockets! You aren't a real cyclist unless you know how to blow a snot rocket!(I said that for your benefit, Tami! ha ha) About mile 4, my sacroiliac starts bugging me. This usually happens in pregnancy...which I'm not!! I pedal through it and it goes away after a few miles. I go over the Cable Bridge to make the ride longer and about wipe out on a dead bird! At this point, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have gone riding today. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. On my way home, I had to drop Madison's lunch of at her middle school. The campus outside was bare. I was so thankful no one was outside....I have my biking tights on, stocking cap because the hair is scary, and look like I'm wearing a diaper. Just as I cross the street from the parking lot, the bell rings and all these kids start filing out of the building. Great!!!! Oh well...I just dealt with the stares. Determined or stupid? I'm going to say stuptermined!!

11 comments:

Angel Rogers said...

I don't know if its determined or stupid, but it made me laugh and I sure need to today! :)

Mike and Julina said...

I love you. You make me laugh. I think we were just determined. I'm glad the dead bird didn't kill you.

Anonymous said...

My vote is extrememly determined and maybe a little CRAZY!!!! and the story was funny to read. You are the star of the day!!

Tami said...

Great story. Too bad it is real. I laughed out loud a couple of times especially when you mentioned snot rockets and then was pleased to see that the comment was a tribute to me. You really are incredibly determined. I love it. Nice job keeping at it!

Suzanne said...

I say determined. I would have headed to the mall after dropping off the kids instead!

Leslie said...

Oh my, and to think you went through all that alone! I say you're UNSTOPABLE!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you didn't let a few minor disturbances get in the way. I hate it when I have a plan and then life gets in the way and messes it all up. Way to stick with your plan.

Theresa said...

Great story -- you're a trooper! Especially since you can laugh about it and make us all laugh too!

Wendy Sousley said...

I say very determined! Im glad you came through all right! I love stories like this, they keep life interesting. How boring would your Blog be if you just went for a bike ride today?

Anonymous said...

Snot rockets. Hilarious!

Brandon and Alesha said...

What a story! I have a great mental image in store for later when I need a good laugh. Thanks Leslie.